There’s nothing like a good blowdry to make you feel put together and confident. But if you’re not careful, it’s easy to end up with frizzy or flat hair. That’s why we’ve put together this list of top tips for the ultimate DIY blowdry. With these tips, you’ll be able to achieve professional results at home.
- Start with clean, dry hair – This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to start with clean hair that is completely free of any product build-up. If your hair is dirty or oily, the products you use to style will have a hard time holding and your blowout will fall flat. So make sure to shampoo and condition your hair before you start styling.
- Use the right products – When it comes to blowdrying your hair, you need to use products that will help protect your hair from heat damage and that will hold your style in place. We recommend using a heat protectant spray and a volumizing mousse or gel. Apply the products to damp hair, starting at the roots and working your way down to the ends.
- Don’t forget about your scalp – It’s important to massage your scalp when you’re shampooing and conditioning your hair, but it’s also important to give it some extra attention when you’re blow-drying. Use the nozzle of your blowdryer to direct airflow toward your scalp while you massage it with your fingers. This will help stimulate blood flow and promote healthy hair growth.
- Use a heat protectant spray. Before you start using any heat on your hair, it’s important to protect it with a heat-protectant spray. This will help minimize damage from the hot air and prevent your hair from drying out. You can spray your entire head with a heat protectant before you start blow-drying instead of one bit at a time.
- Section your hair off before you start. This will help you avoid missing any spots and ensure that each section of hair gets equal attention. You can divide your hair into quadrants by making a part down the center of your head from front to back, and then again from ear to ear. That way, you can focus on one section at a time and make sure you don’t miss any spots.
- Use a round brush – A round brush is key for achieving a salon-quality blowout at home. Start by sectioning off your hair and then take small sections of hair at a time. Wrap the section of hair around the brush and then hold the blow dryer about 6 inches away from your head as you move the brush through your hair from root to tip. Be sure to keep the dryer moving so that you don’t overheat any one section of hair. Repeat this process until all of your hair is dry and styled.
6a) For extra volume: When you get to the crown of your head, place the brush under the section of hair and lift it up towards the ceiling as you blast it with hot air from the blow dryer. Hold it there for a few seconds before lowering it back down and continuing to dry that section as usual.
6b) For extra smoothness: When you get to the ends of your hair, point the blow dryer downwards as you glide the brush through that section (from roots to ends). Doing this will help seal the cuticle and prevent split ends.
Finish with a blast of cold air – Once all of your hair is dry, finish off with a blast of cold air from your blowdryer. This will help set your style and give you long-lasting results.
Add some finishing touches – Once your blowout is complete, you can add some finishing touches if desired. You can use a little bit of texturizing spray at the roots for some extra volume, or curl the ends under for a more polished look. And that’s it—you’re ready to take on whatever comes your way!
Achieving salon-quality results at home doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to achieve long-lasting, gorgeous results without spending a fortune on professional haircare services.